Circa 1840 , a sailing vessel, The Windsor Castle, was dismasted and observed by some pilots from Kilbaha, west of the heads. They made their way to the distressed vessel, found her to be devoid of crew or command and using their skill and tenacity brought her safely to anchor off Kilbaha. These pilots were rewarded for their valiant efforts to salvage The Windsor Castle, in the form of monetary compensation.The salvage of The Windsor Castle, played a significant role in the history of Scattery Island, as some of the pilots involved in this event used their compensation money to lease land on the island from the landlord at the time Francis Keane. Among these pilots were; Scanlan, Brennan, McMahon, Griffin, Melican & Hanrahan. These men and their families continued to live on Scattery for years after this and continued on their maritime tradition as islanders.